“Lofty mountains, whispering streams; Silent woods, milky snow.
Oh! boundless paradise it seems Happy go trekking to know”
Your table is clean; you have wound up your pending work at office and delegated the rest to your trusted ones. Now you are off on a week’s vacation to Manali, the most sought Himalayan Winter Trekking zone. It is quite an excitement and you are having a confused time balancing between what stuff you really need and what you actually don’t want to clutter your trek bag with.
Well! A trek bag alone is not sufficient to pack all your things, you surely need a suitcase or a stroller bag to organise your city stuff like Casual Shirts, Trousers and T-Shirts and toiletries. “Less luggage, more comfort” is the age old mantra for travel. So here is a list of things you ought to carry for a trekking trip though individual preferences may be differ. You can buy trek bags online as you could view a wide range of varieties.
- Light weight hooded jackets, shirts and trousers. This can not only reduce the total weight of the bag but also keep your body light while trekking.
- One pair of thermal wear for the night.
- Sunglasses to prevent snow blindness.
- Your favourite camera.
- A notebook and pen.
- A Big Duffel bag or large rucksack also called a trek bag to carry your luggage. While a duffel bag has compartments only on its sides, a rucksack or a trek bag is a large backpack; has many small zippers so you can organize your stuff properly.
- Water Bottles – 2 0r 3 to help throughout the day.
- A lunch box of dry fruits containing Cashews, Almonds and Figs because dry fruits can really fill your stomach fast and also keep you warm in cold climate. It comes very handy when you are hungry too. Try some salted pistas, almonds or cashews.
- Light weight thin towel so that it gets dried up fast.
- Small torch.
- Trekking or Hiking Shoes
- Warm woolen Socks
- Gloves , Woolen caps and scarfs.
- First aid kit containing plasters, crepe bandages, antiseptic creams, antibiotics, painkillers, balms, lozenges and those which are suitable for you.
- Sleeping bag and a mat in case you are going to camp.
- Small Toiletry Kit
- If you are a mountain climber, then you may also want to look at some climbing and hiking equipment to carry.
- Trekking or walking sticks
Do remember to view this check list when you plan a vacation at the hill. Till then listen in to the voice of a traveler.